Friday, January 6, 2017

Whalesome Goals in 2017!


     Ringing in the New Year with two blog posts, the first was a recap of 2016 and now we're moving on to 2017 personal goals to help protect and conserve our oceans. Before moving on to that, let us talk about the above painting. In July I went to a paint night ready to paint a lighthouse at sunset and came out of it with a breaching Orca and educational experience for everyone at the paint night. As we revealed our paintings at the end of the night everyone (including the instructor) was memorized by my Orca. It sparked conversations about Killer Whales, Free Willy, and Shamu. I used this opportunity to educate about captivity and the impacts it has on these beautiful creatures. I will never know what came out of my lecture but I do know it left a mark since I went back in September and the instructor remembered me as the "Orca girl." This is how I want to inspire and educate all throughout 2017. Now onto the goals!

      1. Clean up at least 10 beaches. 
- There is an app called "Clean Swell" that I use to help keep track of what I'm picking up. The app is free and available on iPhone and Android. This app was created by Ocean Conservancy and you can track what you've picked up, total distance cleaned, a record of your cleanup efforts and you can share your efforts with friends on social media. Find out more here.

      2. Reduce the use of plastic by 30%

- I already have started to avoid plastic water bottles and have started getting my co-workers to at least recycle their plastic and cans. I want to take it a step further and; 
  • Begin using reusable cups and bags instead of plastic one-use cups and plastic bags.  
  • Stop using plastic straws in restaurants.
  • Start using a razor with replaceable blades instead of disposables
  • Start bringing a reusable container for leftovers at restaurants
  • Avoid frozen convenience food  
  • Give up chewing gum 
  • Start using bar soap instead of liquid hand soap
  • Find a plastic-free hairbrush
      3. Adopt at least 3 marine animals. 

- There are great websites like the WDC and WWF that provide ways to adopt animals. On WWF they donate 85% to conservation programs and the WDC donates proceeds to releasing captive Cetaceans and conserve ocean habitats. 

      4. Promote websites that help make a difference at least once a month. 

- In 2016 I discovered two amazing websites that donate some of their proceeds to different causes. The first one is Devoted To The Ocean, they raise awareness about pollution and the growing effects it has on marine habitats. Devocean donates 20% of its net profits to the FAU Marine Research Lab at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center. The second website is Beautiful Baleine, they raise awareness for captivity and commercial whaling. 10% of their net profits are directly donated to whales.org to fund efforts in research. 

      5. Sign and promote at least 6 petitions relating to marine life on Change.org

Change.org is a platform for change, by taking action and signing petitions on their website you could help in success and victories of things you are passionate about. Last year I signed 4 petitions from pledging to re-use plastic, to Seaworld issues. This year I am aiming for 6 or more signed petitions, as well as promoting each petition on my social media.

     





No comments:

Post a Comment