Friday, March 31, 2017

Their Story; Kalina


     My name is Kalina, I was born September 25, 1985, in Seaworld, Orlando and I was the original Baby Shamu! My mom was Katina, she was captured from Iceland and her dad (my grandfather) Winston spent all of his life in the UK before being bought to Seaworld, San Diego where he died at 15 years old. When I was just 4 years old I was taken from my mom to be at another facility. They say my mom cried sounds never heard by whales before because she was so upset I was separated from her. 
     I was sent to Ohio in 1990 where I didn't stay long, ten months later I was moved to San Diego. I was then taken from San Diego to San Antonio just eight months after. It was in Texas I was bred and became pregnant with my son Keet, I was only 7 years old. In the wild, we wouldn't start calving until we were at least 12. A little over a year later I had my second son Keto.
     FINALLY, I was reunited with my mom Katina in Orlando but she didn't remember me. I then gave birth to two stillborns Tuar and Skyla. I was constantly being bred and giving birth but never allowed to bond with my babies because they would take them and move them to other facilities just like they did me.
     Shortly before my death, I was being bullied by another female in the tank called Kayla. We had many physical fights that interrupted shows and they always left me injured. In October 2010, I died from septicemia.



Rest in peace Kalina

No comments:

Post a Comment