Friday, April 14, 2017

Beach Clean-up Essentials

photo from surfrider foundation

     When I first started beach cleanups I walked onto the beach with no gloves and no trash bag and would pick up large items here and there. Since learning about plastic pollution and obvious sanitary issues I started getting serious about my clean up efforts and over time have found things that work better for me than others. If you're not sure how to start or what you may need, this list of essentials will easily help get you started on making a difference on your local beaches.

1. Gloves

     You can use whatever gloves you have or prefer, I used to just buy a box of medical grade gloves BUT it is not very sustainable to use plastic when trying to rid plastic so I started to opt for fabric garden gloves. You can get cute ones or use ones you may already have laying around, it's really up to you. You also have different options as to what type of glove, again it doesn't matter that much as long as it's comfortable and lets your hands breathe but won't puncture easily. They're also fairly cheap so if you can't afford much there are tons of options under $10.

 G & F Florist Plus High-Performance Women's Garden Gloves, Medium, 2 Pairs

2. A bucket 

     You can, of course, use any sort of trash bag or plastic bag you may have gotten at the grocery store but if you're looking for something more sustainable and easier to work with I recommend a bucket. Typically this works well especially if it is breezy. I've had so many times I was using a trash bag and it somehow opened on me and trash fell out or I put the bag down to do something and the wind took it. Another problem I always came across was the bag twisting around itself and not being able to open it easier and I spent more time fighting with the bag than picking up the trash. With a bucket, you just plop it in the area you are working and throw things in as you go, you have two hands to work with and it makes things flow much easier. Another suggestion is using a lid on your bucket so when it starts to become full, you aren't losing pieces of trash from the wind blowing them out. The best part is that though the bucket is typically plastic it is reusable and you can buy them in bulk if you are organizing a cleanup. You could also use those pop-up hampers, the only con to those is that they can fly away and they aren't as easy to cleanout.


3. First aid kit

     You don't need to carry this one with you but I would recommend keeping one in your car or at your beach station if you've set up a towel with other things. You never know what could happen while cleaning up, anything from cuts and scratches to insect bites. You have tons of different options from basic kits to advanced if you're first aid certified the more pieces in a kit you buy, the better.


4. Reusable water bottle 

     A must. It will be hot on the beach, especially in summer, you'll be doing a lot of walking and bending down and standing up. You will want the water. Some beaches have water fountains where you can refill your bottle as you go as well. I recommend stainless steel, you can use glass as well but when the bottle sweats the sand will stick to your glass a lot more than a steel one. 
 Klean Kanteen K12Pps 12-Ounce Stainless Steel Water Bottle With Sport-TopChef's Star Glass water Bottle 6 Pack 18oz Bottles For Beverage and Juicer Use Stainless Steel Caps with Carrying Loop

5. Scale 

     This one is definitely optional. I prefer using a scale so at the end of the day I can weigh the amount of trash I have picked up and keep a log. A simple food/kitchen scale will work for this (obviously one that is designated for trash only.)

No comments:

Post a Comment