Friday, August 12, 2016

Their Story; Lolita.

Picture from www.grayline.com

     My name is Lolita, I'm 20 feet long and I weigh 7,000 pounds. I live in the Miami Seaquarium and I've been here since 1970. I was captured from my home on August 8, 1970, in Puget Sound, Washington. At first, they named me Tokitae, but renamed Lolita from some novel. I lived with a whale named Hugo for 10 years in an 80-35-20 foot pool in Miami, Florida. Hugo was captured two years before me but he passed away on March 4, 1980, and I've been in this pool all by myself since. 
     I have a lot of attention on me, I am known as the loneliest Orca in the world. I was part of a documentary called "Lolita; Slave To Entertainment." A lot of people fight for me and want me to be released back home, some have even started a protest at the Seaquarium where I live and started a hashtag online called "#FreeLolita." 
     I really like that people fight for my freedom, my tank is too small, to begin with. My tank violates Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services for size requirements. My tank should be at least 48 feet wide but mines only 35 feet wide; that only gives me 15 feet to swim. My tank is also very shallow and I get sunburns all over my body. 
     In November 2011, Animal Legal Defense Fund, PETA and a few others filed lawsuits against National Marine Fisheries Service to end the exclusion of me and my state of life from the Endangered Species Act. As of February 2015, I am now included in the endangered species list. My whole pod back home is also endangered.
     I am currently still living in the Miami Seaquarium all by myself. I still have to perform in shows and behave well. Please help me. 

Visit this website to learn more about me and how to help: http://hope4lolita.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment